In keeping with the strategic objectives of the National Sport Policy geared towards achieving total participation and excellence in sport, the Ministry aims to provide facilities for the growth and development of sport throughout Trinidad and Tobago.
The sport of cycling is among the fastest growing sports in which nationals have been successful on the international stage. The standard facility used for international training and competition in modern cycling is a 250 metre track and such a facility is not available anywhere in the region.
As such, in order to meet the growing demand for training facilities for the discipline of cycling, the Government of Trinidad and Tobago approved the development of a National Cycle Track at Couva. This project is proposed to accommodate training as well as to host national, regional and international competitions. The establishment of such sporting venue can be a boost to the sport tourism thrust.
- To establish adequate facilities for a structured approach to the sport of Cycling
- To increase levels of participation in these sporting disciplines
- To develop potential athletes for competitions at national and international levels
- To host competitions at the national/international levels
- To meet the training needs of professional athletes throughout the region
The design of the Velodrome will be consistent with all aspects of recently built international Velodromes and will offer Trinidad and Tobago the capacity to attract international cycling track events and the ability to develop the level of the national cycling teams in a controlled indoor environment.
The National Cycle Track will include the following facilities:
- 250 metre × 7 metre wood cycling track with embankment of 42 degrees to the International Cycle Union (UCI) standard Category 1
- 2,500 seats in the cycling track configuration
- Hospitality suite boxes with private seats
- Official VIP Media seats
- Concessions outlets (food and beverages, merchandising)
- Ticket booths
- Multipurpose room(s) for event organisers/ referees/judges and other officials
- Massage room for athletes