Term of Office: 1st August, 2019 to 31st July 2022.
The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) Youth Ambassador Programme (CYAP) is a mechanism for promoting youth participation and partnership in regional integration and in broad socio-economic development processes.
CARICOM Youth Ambassadors (CYAs) are a network of young leaders mandated by CARICOM Heads of Governments to advocate for and educate young people about regional priorities including HIV and AIDS and the CARICOM Single Market and Economy. Their role is to address youth issues at the national level whilst bringing said issues to the attention of their respective Governments.
Persons interested in serving as CARICOM Youth Ambassadors should:
- Be between the ages of 18 to 25.
- Be a resident national of Trinidad & Tobago
- Be able to commit to serve as CYA for a minimum of two (2) years and a maximum term of three (3) years.
- Be an active member of a bonafide Youth Group/Organization.
- Have no competing commitments including family responsibilities and further (overseas) education plans for the next 2 – 3 years.
- Be able to articulate and able to effectively represent their country and relate to the youth networks and masses at home
- Possess appropriate knowledge, skills and attitudes on youth development issues and places a high value on learning and ongoing development;
- Have a clear understanding and appreciation of the socio-economic structure of the Caribbean region, the political systems governing Caribbean people and the role of CARICOM in promoting regional integration;
- Possess or is committed to acquiring a wide range of leadership skills including consensus building, facilitation of meetings, planning and project cycle development, monitoring and evaluation, report/proposal writing, action research, media interface and advocacy
- Be proactive in marketing the CYAP and strengthening networking linkages with Retired CYAs, Departments of Youth Affairs, NYCs, Ministries of CARICOM Affairs, Community Youth Organisations/NGOs, and other stakeholders
- Regularly shares ideas, skills and experiences with CYAs, NYCs, other youth organisations/NGOs at all levels and seeks to integrate CARICOM goals and priorities into their respective work plans;
- Be able to mobilize resources to support the implementation of the local work plan
Click here for the CARICOM Youth Ambassador application form.